Sunday 11 May 2008

Bonapartes Gull - Stocks Reservoir, Lancs


On the evening of Saturday 10th May we were at my sister's house enjoying the unseasonably warm weather and having a barbeque. Normally these family affairs can get quite raucous due in no small part to the amount of alchohol consumed. It was my turn to drive so I was stone cold sober and would have to put up with my drunken relatives all evening. But at least I'd wake with a clear head in the morning. What a bonus this turned out to be as instead of nursing a hangover I spent a pleasant 45 minutes watching a Bonapartes gull at Stock reservoir. This cracking bird was found the evening before by Mike Watson (see his blog for details), and hung around just long enough for a few local birders to see it. It is the first for Stocks and only the second for east lancs. It didn't give particularly close views and this is the best shot I got of it. I suspect Margaret Breaks may have got some better digiscoped images, and Mike Watson's photos are of the bird on the ground. As far as I know this is the only flight shot of the bird (it's the right hand bird, the other two black headed gulls are left in the frame for comparison). If anyone has any better images I'd like to see them.


No comments:

Post a Comment